You might have noticed that not a lot happened recently regarding MindMirror, my little Notetaking/Todomanagement application. This was partially due to the fact that I was occupied with things like the Akonadi-Nepomuk-Feeders (after two months of holidays and exams), on which I rely in MindMirror, but also because I started some lengthy discussions with Kevin Ottens from the Zanshin team about a cooperation between MindMirror and Zanshin.
Fortunately he was also attending the PIM sprint, which allowed for another brainstorming, and it turns out that our ideas align that much that I decided to stop working on MindMirror and focus my development time on Zanshin instead. Of course that was a difficult decision since it is quite a bit of work to integrate my work from MindMirror into Zanshin and because I no longer have the full control over the project. On the other hand they did really good work on Zanshin so far, and it only makes sense to work together since we’re trying to build essentially the same application. This way I want to ensure that the project is a bit more future proof (with a community instead of a single developer), and no (scarce) development time goes to waste.
Most of my work on MindMirror can be reused in Zanshin and anyways I needed this project to develop the idea of the application. Kind of a hands on brainstroming, so no regrets here =)
As a first step I’m going to integrate the notetaking into Zanshin, so I hope to release the notetaking part with the next Zanshin release. Today I hacked together a first crude version, which is already functional, but as you can see there’s still some work to do.
I’m really looking forward to finally get a releasable version of what I started with project MindMirror, and hope I made the right call with killing my project before the first release in favor of another one ;-)